October 20, 2015 - Do you GoodRead?

A simple question - "Do you GoodRead?" On top of having an extensive list of items in my UFO WIP & to-be-stitched piles, I also have a collection of books that keeps growing. The shelves in my house are full. There are bins in the storage room that are full. My GoodReads(c) list continues to grow as well. Its a sort of literary trap. They make suggestions on what you may like to read based on your previously read or wanting to read lists. Of course many times they are hitting to far out of the ball park from what I actually would like to submit my brain time for....but there are those times when they are right. Maybe I would like to read that novel. So I hit "add to" and secure the title to a specific shelf. When you're in a genre funk & thinking how drab it is that you are so secluded in a stereotyped world, perhaps thinking you would like to explore new genres. New artists & authors....then are sucked right back in w/ a wonderful suggestive piece. *shakes fist* Arrrgh GoodReads.

Last year was my first year to set up a Reading Challenge. That's not quite accurate. All through my youth & adolescent years I lived in the library & participated in all the reading challenges the various libraries put on. In school, my name bookworm wrapped around the class & I actually did book reports for fun. My English 30 teacher found it odd that when we had One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as a mandatory curriculum read, that not only had I already discovered the book & read it; I also had a prepared book report. Of course she quizzed me, what 16 yr old actually wants to read that kind of a book for fun after all - to make sure I wasn't lying. She was either pleasantly shocked that I remembered enough to answer all her questions or still taken aback it was a piece of personal choice. Either way it didn't matter. I was able to get out of reading the book a second time & was allowed to select something else; though still had to do the chapter quiz with my class.

Anyways...GoodReads has Reading Challenges. Last year I set my amount and beamed when I surpassed the goal. Feeling confident I upped the goal #....but then life got tangled and the books stayed on the shelf longer and I didn't make that second goal. I was downhearted.
This year I have set a much smaller number. I haven't reached that amount yet....or am even 1/2 way despite all the books I've picked up for the year and requested from the library. Whoops. Perhaps the comment of "Quality reads over quantity" bears some worthy truth.


Stitch Related:

 I have some of the outlining done & am working on the last bit of the sand in the IceCream Offer Bathing Belle's postcard.


I started a small bookmark (PINN company Code 30-P) of a little child wearing all yellow holding a sunflower as my "in vehicle" stitch.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fun in the mail

Heeeerrrree Chick-Chick...MAY Smalls SAL & other goodness

2017 - Happy New Year